Friday, September 4, 2009

The Blues

It looks like I've got the blues...this denim rug I'm making has totally dyed my hands blue! I'm going to have to cut my nails to make them white again...and I'll probably paint them for good measure. But it's worth it because the rug is coming out great. I noticed that it was becoming rainbow shaped around row 4, so I started decreasing throughout that row, and it is now completely straight. It has a few bumps from the decreases, but I'm not worried about those because once the heft of the entire rug is added, the bumps won't seem like bumps at all. The biggest annoyance is adding the denim strips every few stitches. I'm ripping the denim every 3/4 of an inch from yardage I bought, and I'm ripping on the grain of course, so it's getting to be a real pain. Not enough of a pain to make me quit, though. This rug is going to be really cool. I'm not Etsy-fying this rug! (You can use any crochet stitch to make this rug; but I'm using double crochet. To add a strip to your working strip, simply use a square knot.)


You may want to try to make this rag rug with a lighter weight fabric than denim. You could use a cotton print material, but your strips might need to be wider, like an inch. I was thinking that it might be nice to hand-dye some material and then make it into a rug. You may want to go with a color which will wear nicely, if you're going to get a lot of use out of your new rug.

I hope you get a little inspiration from this post. My inspiration was actually handwoven baskets. I really want to learn how to make them, but the nearest classes are pretty far away. I'll have to keep an eye out when their new season of classes starts back up and see if I can make my way over there somehow.

TTFN.

No comments: